Just nipping out to get some butter...



As another test, I took my new GoPro camera out for its first long(ish) bike ride, to Coldrano (Goldrain) from Lasa (Laas) a small town in Val Venosta known for its white marble. Still in my 'testing period' I chose to use 1 shot every 2 seconds on the way there and standard video (r4) 4:3 (960p @ 30 fps) on the return.

As with the previous test I was using a chest strap with I have added foam padding to in order to lift the angle of view to include the horizon more.

[ UPDATE 2017 - this chest strap design has been superceded by a better product ]

This time the final movie (above) was created using After Effects to speed up the original film to 25%, 4x faster and to add the frame. Then using VisualHub to make the Flash file (swf). It may keep pausing if you haven't got a fast internet connection, sorry about that.

I still have to make a better 'wedge' of foam for the chest strap as during the journey it moves around and loses its higher angle view. Or perhaps mount the camera and J-hook (adapter) upside down allowing adjustment in the opposite direction. I'd then have to invert the image again later but that's not a problem.

Hoping to get this right by Saturday as I'll be joining in the Stelvio Bike 2010, the annual bike ride to the Stelvio Pass (2760m), the second highest in the Alps. I want to record it!


Cycling the Stelvio Pass

The road is traffic-free for the day, 48 hairpins, 25kms rising in altitude of approximately 1840 m.

I've done it a few times before by bike (and once in a 20 yr old camper) but not with a camera like this GoPro!

[ UPDATE 2017 - note that the GoPro HD model I was using was from 2010 and has since been replaced

Comments

Popular Posts